As the name suggests, here in the article the topic for discussion is gaming addiction help.
About Gaming Addiction
A video gaming addiction is a clinical impulse control disorder. As per psychiatrist Michael Brody, MD, the criteria for video game addiction is similar to that for addiction to a substance.
In both the situations, a person needs more of the source with the passage of time and becomes irritable and despondent in the situations when he / she is denied access to it.
In fact, video game addicts can even experience withdrawal symptoms, in some situations.
WHO : World Health Organisation, has recognised Gaming Addiction as an official disorder.
Symptoms of video game addiction
- Playing Games to escape difficult life situations.
- Playing games for elongated periods as time goes on.
- Skipping showers and meals to play games.
- Poor performance at work or school
- Lying to others, in order to hide gaming activities
- Visible signs of irritation when asked or forced to stop gaming.
Therapies for Video Game Addicts
Research on possible treatments for video game addiction is still ongoing, but few clinical trials have been conducted to address this issue. Experts agree that the treatments used for sufferers of other addictions could work for video game addicts too.
That’s why, they more often recommend:
- Counselling and psychotherapy,
- Cognitive behavioural therapy,
- Twelve step programs and
Either individually or in combination with other methods of treatment.
- One-on-one counselling and family counselling both are effective when applied in combination, while treating a gaming addict. Psychotherapists have made attempts to help the gaming addicts understand how gaming is related to their school or job, emotions and moods, and sense of life goals and rewards.
- Whereas if, Twelve step programs are concerned, the primary resource available is Online Gamer Anonymous, a non-profit organisation founded in 2002.